The SpeechMED™ Enterprise Suite allows hospitals and other caregiving institutions to visually and audibly relay vital medical information to their patients, in the language of their choice, so that more patients can understand and comply with their care instructions, and medical mishaps that arise as a result of a poor communication can be easily avoided.
Every day millions of people in America are not receiving appropriate health care due to an astounding rate of healthcare illiteracy.
- 1 in 5 Americans speak a language other than English in their homes.
- 90 million American adults have basic or below basic literacy skills.
- Individuals with low health literacy have an average annual healthcare cost of $13,000, compared to only $3,000 for those with high literacy levels.
- Individuals with low health literacy are more likely to have chronic conditions than those with high literacy levels, while at the same time are less likely to manage them effectively.
What is SpeechMED?
The SpeechMED™ Enterprise Suite is a Patient Engagement Platform, which caregiving institutions license from SpeechMED Inc., and make available to their patients in the form of branded mobile devices and web portals, so that their patients can both hear and read their care instructions, in a language they understand.
Who uses SpeechMED?
SpeechMED™ provides a special aid to the elderly, persons with special needs, and patients transitioning from the hospital to their home. Hospitals, professional caregivers, family members and friends also use SpeechMED™ to connect to the patient’s care plan. A tactile keypad is available to accommodate visually challenged users.
Why do Hospitals and Caregiving Institutions use SpeechMED?
SpeechMED™ radically improves communication and coordination at all levels of healthcare delivery, as well as patient compliance, and prevents medical mishaps resulting from literacy barriers.
How is SpeechMED used?
Upon discharge, care facilities provide patients with touchscreen tablets, pre-loaded with SpeechMED™, a HIPPA compliant application, that translates their instructions into their native language and stores it, along with other critical information, educational videos, and files the patient can access upon demand.
- Award Winning, patented technology – SpeechMED™ is an enterprise level platform that is pioneering a new, simpler, more inclusive way to communicate care instructions
- 2016 FI Select Portfolio Member
- 2017 Nomination to the 50+ Innovation Leaders
- 2016 Score MBL Innovation Award
- 2015 Technology Leaders of the Year – Most Innovative Technology
- programmable in 16 different languages – SpeechMED™ ensures everyone involved in the patient’s care can follow medical instructions, in a language they understand
- easy transition from care from one caregiver to the next – Whether the caregiver is using the patient’s SpeechMED™ Mobile Application on their tablet, or they are using the Caregiver Companion App, they can easily change the language settings on the unit they are using to hear and read the information in a different language, if the device is not set to one they understand.
- monitor patient remotely – SpeechMED™ allows the caretaker or healthcare provider to monitor some of the patient’s activities remotely, and upload important documents for easy recovery, when needed.
- easy access to general health information – allows caregivers the opportunity to scan pertinent information quickly, such as allergies and pre-existing conditions
- electronic health records (EHR) compatible – discharge and care information is automatically pre-loaded onto the patient’s mobile devices and synced with the hospital. (We are an InterSystems Global Partner)
- contact list – all contact information associated with emergency contacts, insurance information, doctors, caregivers, and others involved in the care process, are easily accessible when needed.
- additional resources and educational videos – instructions and videos can be pre-loaded into a library for use by the patient.
- appointment and medication reminders – self set and admin set reminders keep patients in compliance
- record a voice message – instructions and messages can be left in different languages for other caretakers, who may not understand or read English proficiently
HOW IT WORKS
ENTERPRISE ADMIN PORTAL
The SpeechMED™ web based ‘Caregiver Admin Portal’ is used by employees to enter new patients into the system, and to manage the changing needs of existing patients, after they have been discharged.
Information already in the institution’s electronic records is synced automatically, saving unnecessary manual entry. This includes their medications, pre-recorded explainer videos and other discharge instructions in PDF format, which can be accessed by the patient on their mobile device, in the language of their choice.
SPEECHMED PATIENT MOBILE APPLICATION
The ‘SpeechMED™ App’ is a HIPAA Compliant application, installed on an Android tablet or phone, that is used by patients, after they’ve been discharged from the hospital. The application gives them access to their discharge instructions, and receive audio appointment and medication reminders, read in the language of their choice.
They can also use the device to create audio messages for themselves, or their caregivers, and gives them a way to view important contact information. The data found in the tablet can either be entered by hospital employees, via the ‘Hospital Admin Portal’, or by the patient, via the ‘Patient Portal’, or a combination of both.
The ‘SpeechMED™ Patient Portal’ is a website, accessed by the patient via a desktop computer. The portal allows them to enter all their personal data, including medical history, contacts, and appointment and medication reminders, complete with the ability to take pictures of the pills, so that there is less chance of confusion, when a patient is taking multiple medications.
Contacts, such as insurance and doctors, as well as emergency contacts can be entered, along with the ability to designate a person that will receive notifications, if the patients does not comply with their medication instructions.
CAREGIVER COMPANION MOBILE APPLICATION
The SpeechMED™ ‘Caregiver Mobile Application’ was designed to connect loved ones, and professional caregivers, who are servicing one or more patients, that are using the SpeechMED™ Patient Mobile Application and Portal.
This ‘read only’ application allows both professional caregivers, as well as family and loved ones, the opportunity to monitor the patient’s medication compliance, and get notifications if a patient fails to take a medication, after 3 notifications to do so.
Professional caregivers, with more than one patient to which they must attend, can use the Caregiver Companion to keep track of all of them. However, unlike the ‘Patient Portal’, no information can be entered or edited using this application.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
How SpeechMED Reduces Cost for the Insurance Industry
- Lowers hospital re-admission by preventing avoidable and sometimes expensive (and possibly life threatening) medical mishaps, which can result from language and reading literacy barriers, and average $32k per incident
- SpeechMED™ also helps to prevent duplicate testing, by storing reports so they can be retrieved instead of performed again, therefore reducing the cost for insurance companies
How SpeechMED Improves Efficiency for the Care Provider
- Decreases potential for fines for avoidable readmissions, assessed by federal government.
- Backwards compatible with existing hospital data and record systems, so costly new installations are not required.
- Educational self-help videos saves nurses’ time in explaining the same thing over and over, while ensuring the information can be readily accessible by the patient
- Updates to the patient’s record are synced to the patient’s tablet, eliminating the need for printing and sending them additional material.
- Monitor patient compliance with medicine regimen
How SpeechMED Improves Outcomes for the Patient
- Hearing and reading their information, in the language of the choice, allows the patient to better comprehend and follow their care instructions (especially if they are a non-english speaker, or they live in a household that speaks more than one language.)
- Automated audio and visual reminders reduces patient anxiety about ‘what pill to take and when’, results in less skipped medications and missed appointments.
- Having all their information in one place, and readily accessible to them, gives the patient confidence they not only have a personalized plan of action, but that it is in good working order.
- Educational videos and other resources helps engage, educate and encourage the patient to understand how to better manage their condition and the importance of adhering to their care plan.
How SpeechMED Provides Value to Pharma
- Less days without medication due to forgetfulness and more Rx refills, means more money is spent on medication.
How SpeechMED Provides Value to Family Members and Professional Caregivers
- Family members using the Caregiver Application now have a convenient method to keep track of a loved one’s care plan, making the entire process more transparent and coordinated.
- Caregivers receive notifications of non-compliance for early intervention.
- Assurance that caregivers, regardless of native language, have the information to follow medical instructions.